Thursday, April 19, 2007

Custom searches

I tried searching for "library cards" and for "story times" in both Rollyo and Google Custom Search, and I have to say that I liked Google better. Rollyo took a little longer to search (OK, it was only a few seconds, but still not as fast as Google) and all of the results on the first page on Rollyo were KCLS. Also, I found their advertising very distracting. Google brought up some results for SPL and Sno-Isle on the first page in addition to KCLS, and also suggested a spelling alternative ("Storytimes"), which brought up different results. Maybe it's just the familiarity of Google that made me more comfortable with it, but in my limited test, Google Custom Search beats Rollyo.

I created a quick Google Custom Search for sites about Ballard. I can see the benefit of a custom search if you like to search the same sites often... it's nice to just search those sites all at once, without the extraneous stuff.

No comments: