Friday, May 11, 2007

#25 OverDrive

I might as well reveal that I am one of the eBooks troubleshooters at Answer Line (a shout out to my fellow eBooks support folks!). When patrons are having trouble with eBooks, they fill out the web support form (the "support" link at the bottom of the eCollection page) and the Webmaster forwards those to us. We then take a look at them and either answer them if we know the answer, or forward them to OverDrive's technical support staff. OverDrive will then get back to us within 24 hours with an answer. We also help people who call in with eBooks questions.

Working with eBooks has been a great learning experience for me and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to learn, although it was a bit of "trial by fire" at first. When we first launched our eBooks service, we had people call us from literally all over the world, asking if they could have access to our eBooks, because we were one of the first public libraries to offer them and word got around, I guess. I had a call from Sweden and more than one call from India, as well as several from other parts of the U.S.

Now if only we had eBooks that were compatible with iPods... but we know that's not up to us.

No comments: