Thursday, March 22, 2007

#10 & #11 My Space and friends

I admit that I set up a My Space account a couple of weeks ago so that Barack Obama would be my friend! I know he has over 77,000 other friends, but I'm sure I'm special!

Now we don't "befriend" people, we just "friend" them. And these "friends" could be people we've never met before. Will it become similar to mail, where now, if we are referring to letters that are actually written on paper and mailed to us, we call it "snail mail"? In the future, if we're actually getting together in person with friends, will we have to refer to them as "flesh friends" so that people know we are talking about an actual face-to-face meeting?

I'm not sure about how this will all work out for libraries. I think it is cool that authors have "friended" the KCLS page, and kids who are into reading might find that useful (on the other hand, if the author already has a presence on My Space, the kids have probably already found it). It also seems that kids are going to leave My Space (as I understand they are now doing) because it is becoming too popular with people of all ages, and that ruins the fun. For now, though, having KCLS on My Space so that kids and teens can easily find out about library programs that they might be interested in seems like a good thing.

No comments: