Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Joy of RSS

RSS is a useful time-saver! I have seen many references to RSS but haven't bothered before now to learn about it (thanks, Learning 2.0!). It is very handy to have the newest information from my favorite sites in one place (well, not all of my favorites... see below).

At first, I tried to go to several of my favorite sites to add them, but alas, none of them had RSS feeds available. I ended up choosing a few of blogline's suggested sites, and also searching with their search tool to find some other sites that looked interesting. I also tried some of the other search tools but didn't find them as useful as blogline's.

I've added several book review and library sites and blogs, and also some fun sites like the Daily Show Videos (which I found by looking at blogline's recommendations). Now I'm a bit confused... I was doing this while answering phone calls, but I'm sure that when I first set up my bloglines account, there was a place where I clicked and got recomendations broken down into categories; also there was a list of the most popular feeds on bloglines. Now that I've subscribed to some feeds, I don't see these things any more... was I hallucinating? Or maybe those categories only show up for new subscribers. That's what I get for doing two things at once... confusion!

Anyway, I'm sure that's how I found the Daily Show Videos, as well as Scientific American and the Librarians' Internet Index. It was easy. Now if only more of my favorite sites would add RSS feeds...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. You are good at RSS. I can't even call them by the right name. I call them RSVP feeds. Arghhh!!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Carol because I looked at my recommendations links at bloglines and they didn't offer a thing...zero zilch nada ...

Unknown said...

Wikipedia knows the legend of the Maneki Neko cat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki_Neko